Tuesday 28 June 2011

Innsbruck by day and Innsbruck by night



Innsbruck by day

A day out to Innsbruck reminded us of what a quintessential European city looks like.  It was the first time we’d been into an actual city since we have been away and we were excited by the buzz! As any other it has an old town area full of beautiful facades and brimming with quirkiness, a mandatory accordian player, with the added extra of a backdrop of stunning mountains.  We just wandered, soaking it in, saw a part of a traditional wedding under the Golden Roof (difficult to see well through the throngs of tourists), had some lunch and then spent quite a long time pounding the pavements for beach towels!  We finally found a shop in the most unlikely place smack in the middle of the old town square amongst all the souvineers! 
Saturday we stayed around the campsite, walked into the nearby village of Natters where we found another playground and where Amelia found a shop selling ‘going out to dinner shoes’ which she ‘really needs as she hasn’t got anything to wear to a party’!  (Amelia – do you know you’re only 4?)
We met a couple from Doubleview also staying here, with two little kiddies the same as us, travelling around in a camper van for two months!  That’s the second set of Aussies we’ve met from Perth and the fact that they were also doing it with kids in tow relieved us from worrying that we might just be crazy!  We arranged to have dinner with them on Saturday night, but after a huge day of hiking, riding gondola’s and then getting lost they gave us a raincheck. 
It turned out well though as a spontaneous decision by Maciek (couldn’t have been me as I need to plan things at least two days in advance!) took us into Innsbruck by train for dinner.  It was lovely as the crowds had dispersed, and we enjoyed a meal and a beer (we didn’t go the stein!) and the kids had MORE ice-cream and we took our time window shopping and trying on silly hats in the souvineer shops!  You never know, some unsuspecting relatives may get one for Christmas!
Innsbruck by night

3 comments:

  1. Good to see Amelia has her priorities worked out! Sorry for my lack of comments on your blog. I always read the posts from my phone and for some reason I can't post comments from my phone, so please don't be offended that I'm not keeping in touch on here! I've been really busy, working, kids activities, keeping up with the housework and training for the marathon. I usually get to sit down around 8:30pm, but by then I can't be bothered getting on the computer, so I either watch tv for a bit or just go to bed! Last week of school next week, the kids are super excited about the holidays. They've got some grand plans for going to the movies, play centres, sleepovers etc...hopefully I'll be able to keep up with their requests, I was asked today to work everyday over the holidays, so I need to try and figure out how I'm going to please everybody! Training is going pretty good, did my longest run yet last Sunday - 26km - I felt like I was wearing concrete boots for the rest of the day, and it was pretty tough following it up the next morning, even with only a 5km easy run...my legs were NOT talking to me! Next big one is 27km, not this weekend but next and I think the Sunday after that is 32km. What made me think that doing a marathon was a good idea? Anyways, I'm sure your lovely readers don't want to read all about me - so I'll stop rambling :)
    Love reading your stories, please keep them coming! x Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. A girl can never have too many 'going out to dinner' shoes, Amelia must take after nanna haha
    now for the handbags!!!!
    Good to see you all happy and enjoying yourselves, love reading all your stories :-)
    and can't wait to see what the hat looks like....NOT!! just what i wanted for Xmas
    Well done Jen with your marathon's,it sounds like you are doing Mac's share too as he is slacking off this year from it haha
    Have fun and travel safe
    love
    Mum & Albe (Nanna Lol & Poppy) xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Mel - looks like you're having lots of fun!! Just letting you know Eve got her vault today! Everyone was so excited, it's nice to see the other girls being so supportive of her struggling to get something they find so easy, they have been really encouraging her lately so she could get it in time for badge test.
    I'll let you know how her and Zay go at badge test (on the 23rd), Jas isnt doing it cos she already has her badge.
    Nic x

    ReplyDelete