Friday 3 February 2012

Winter Update


Loads of Snow





Milly with Medal

 Servus, or gday everyone, Maciek here again with an update of how we’re travelling so far.  This blog will mainly be about me, the snow and me on the snow. So if you’re still with me welcome aboard.We are about two thirds of the way through winter and it has been quite a harsh one as far as snow fall goes, we’ve had a lot, which sounds great and it is but there a lot of snow removal to be done when that happens. It take about 15 minutes to dig the car out every morning after a snow fall, usually about a foot of snow covers the car and surrounds then the same in the afternoon. Digging the car out once a day is fine, twice is a pain. I’ve also had to do my fair share of snow clearing at work which can get annoying but mostly its better then standing around doing nothing. Work is either full on busy or dead quiet but it’s all good because I’ve been able to get plenty of time to snowboard.
These days, as I’m now 10 years older than I was when I last did a season, I find that a couple of hours in the morn before work is sufficient enough to get a fix and not feel too tired. I also usually get a chance to go out one day a week for a half day before I have to pick up Melanie and the kids. It has all been a bit of a fine balancing act, trying to get time on the hill and not upsetting the family, but so far it has worked ok, I think.

My Epic Ride-TOP

MIDDLE

The slopes around us are pretty good. There are three resorts within 15 minutes drive from here. I’ve spent most of my time at the local one, St Johann, as my work is at the bottom of that one. So what normally happens is that I drop mel and the kids at school, leave the car there, walk to the gondola, snowboard for a couple of hours and ride down to work, which is on the other side of the mountain. Sound good ha. The slopes here are uncrowned and with all the fresh snow we’ve had I have been able to get the best powder rides of my life. In one ride I was lucky enough to get the second track down which went for about 2 km, untracked fresh snow in front of me. This must be the best feeling in the world, it almost feels like flying and I love it, well I’m sure skydivers and base jumpers would have something to say about that, but that’s a bit extreme for me. I took some pictures of the tracks, I got to do this run twice that day. Everything came together, two days of snow, followed by a sunny day and a day off for me, doesn’t happen too often. The only down side was that there was a 15 minute hike out of the valley to the gondola.

BOTTOM

Amelia has also learnt to ski in the meantime, we are so proud of her. It took quiet a lot of tears and persistence but after 2 weeks of ski school she skied in a race, slalom between flags, and came forth in her group. I have also learned to ski and have been about to go up with her and ski down which has been a long awaited dream come true, to be able to ski with my kids. We are still waiting on Melanie to be able to join us as she has been very busy with work and been too tired to ski with us. Hopefully soon. Noah will have to wait till next winter as he is too small but if you’ve seen the video of him skiing on Facebook you’ll know he won’t have too many problems.
By the way, I’m writing this blog today sitting here at home, while Mel and the kids are at school, and not boarding because it -15 outside and too freaking cold. I’m also airing out the house cos there’s a foul and mysterious odor coming from somewhere and I’m freezing.







1 comment:

  1. Milly good job, we're proud of you too. Hopefully next year we can ski all together!! Maciek, I'm just envious!!! I really really am!!!

    ReplyDelete